*Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Sonoma State University has transitioned to remote instruction for spring 2020. Employees are working remotely in almost all departments. Email is the best way to communicate with our faculty and staff. Please see the SSU COVID-19 site for more information.
Welcome to the Department of Geography, Environment, and Planning (GEP). We prepare students for careers in environmental professions, for graduate studies, and for their role as informed and thoughtful global citizens. We offer degrees in Geography and Environment (BA) and Environmental Studies (BS) with emphasis on:
- Understanding human-environment conflict and collaboration
- Building resilience with environmental systems
- The application of geospatial and quantitative analyses to solve complex environmental and societal problems
- Designing resource-resilient and socially just communities
- Planning urban spaces for sustainability